Town Center Women’s Residential Housing
The YWCA has continuously housed women since 1918, when our downtown building was opened to the public. Our Town Center Women’s Housing Program provides safe, affordable, dormitory style rental housing for low-income single women, 18 years and older.
The Town Center Housing Program provides the following services:
- 40 rooms
- All rooms are furnished — including linens and utilities
- Safe, comfortable, smoke-free atmosphere
- On-site community kitchen with a food pantry
- Dormitory style baths and laundry facilities
- Lounges with cable television
- Can Families rent rooms at the YW?
- No, our rooms are made for single women only. Please reach out to our local CIHA Coordinator for family housing assistance at 434-455-5722
- How much does a rental room cost?
- In 2018 our rent is $65 a week or $281 per month.
- What are key requirements to become a tenant at the Town Center property?
- All residents must work or have some form of verifiable income.
- What if a resident needs assistance? Do you provide intensive case management, mental health services, or job training?
- No. Your YWCA housing program does NOT provide case management, mental health services, job training, or home health services. Our program is not well suited for women who need those types of assistance. However, please know that our Town Center Residental Housing Program Coordinator will work with residents to help them locate the community resources they need.
If you or someone you know is interested in housing at the YW, please contact our Town Center Residential Housing Coordinator, Toy Eagle, at (434) 847-7751and select option 4.
Hillary, a Town Center Housing Resident
The women in this program come to the YW for many different reasons. Some come from emergency shelters, some come from prison, some were living house-to- house with friends. Some simply don’t have a regular place to sleep. Whatever the reason, this program helps them achieve the most important step in building a better life — having a place to live.